Darcey Bussell's Looking for Audrey


As you can tell by the title of my blog, I'm a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn - her style, her elegance, her inner and outer beauty. When I noticed a BBC One programme titled 'Darcey Bussell's Looking for Audrey' on the TV Guide, I knew I was in for a treat. I wasn't aware of the celebrity presenter Darcey Bussell, however I've been told she's a retired ballerina who now sits on the judging panel of Strictly Come Dancing. The episode is an hour long and can be watched on the BBC One website here. Darcey is a fantastic presenter of this programme; you can tell how passionate she is and how much Audrey inspires her - as a dancer and an icon. The show spans a timeline of Audrey's life - from her birth in Belgium, her time in an English boarding school, the poverty in wartime Holland and eventually her ballet and Hollywood career. I found it extremely interesting to learn about her life, as most of us don't know about the hardships she faced as a child or her troubled relationship with her father. 


On a more positive note,the show also looked into the glamorous life Audrey led; the Givenchy dress she wore in Breakfast at Tiffany's sold for £410,000 and the sunglasses were made by Oliver Goldsmith. Darcey is also given a makeover by Audrey's Italian makeup artist Nilo Jacoponi who uses individual fake eyelashes to create the 'doe-eyed' youthful Audrey look. 


In her later life, Audrey was a Goodwill Ambassador for Unicef and the footage of her visiting Somalia is so inspiring. You can tell that Audrey is an icon not only style-wise but also for her willingness to put others before herself. The show is really enjoyable and even brought a tear to my eye when her timeline came to an end. A must-watch for any Audrey fan.





Have you heard of this show? Would you watch this sort of TV show?
I hope you have a lovely NYE

xxx 

Post a Comment